Category Archives: BOT

Board of Trustees Meeting Blog
Occasional reports on meetings of COD’s Board of Trustees and committees, particularly those of concern to faculty. For complete coverage of Board meetings, access the live streams and/or the recordings of meetings. For more information, visit the COD Board of Trustees website.

BOT Academic Committee Meeting Mar 13, 2018

Meeting called to order with most members present. Minutes approved, with one abstention.

COMMENTS BY COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN

Ensure that the HLC final document is completed and submitted by due date, May 15, 2018.

STATUS REPORT OF PROCESS REVISIONS TO ADDRESS HLC CORE COMPONENTS 3.A & 4.A IN PREPARATION FOR THE REPORT DUE MAY 2018:

Jim Benté, VP Planning & Institutional Effectiveness:  Report

  • Overview of the Active Course File / Syllabi audit.
  • The deadline for submission of an interim report is May 15, 2018.
  • Provided the following report on Active Course File / Syllabi adherence
  • Active Course File Learning Objective / Syllabi inconsistency rate was 25% at the time of the HLC onsite visit. The most recent rate is 4%.
  • The sample size of the audit was 232 individual syllabi taken from a total of 2200. Description of audit:
    • Full time faculty: 83 syllabi, representing 36% of all syllabi audited
    • Part time faculty: 149 syllabi, representing 57% of all syllabi audited
    • Face to face courses: 83%
    • Online: 15%
    • Hybrid: 2%
    • Non-compliance: 1 (.5%) FT faculty and 8 PT (3.5%) faculty syllabi did not align with course learning objectives.

VP Bente noted that while the compliance rate was not perfect, he is pleased with the improvement.  He stated that the improvement will make a “strong story” for the HLC report.

  • VP Bente is creating a draft of the report using document provided by faculty and Academic Affairs.
  • The HLC did not recommend or mandate a report format, but will address the issues noted in the HLC report.
  • Discussed some of the source materials to be included in the report, such as emails between faculty and deans regarding course learning outcomes, and committee minutes from the VPAA, HLC Response Planning Team, BOT Academic Committee and Faculty Senate. Evidence submitted could be 200 pages.
  • Draft report is planned to be complete by April 1 which will allow time for revisions by the May 15 due date.

Chair Bennett:

  • Asked if information table will be included in the report. Bente – Yes.
  • Ensure that the committee’s minutes note that the College did not receive from the HLC specific instructions on the report format, or any criteria of what results would be acceptable or unacceptable.
  • Noted that the HLC survey sample size was “very limited,” and should stress in the College’s response that the survey size was increased to about 10% of all courses offered.
  • Goal is to have draft report completed by April first, which will tie in to the April BOT meeting schedule
  • Bente noted that Dr. Stewart’s report will be added to the HLC report.

 Dr. Donna Stewart, Interim VP Academic Affairs:  Report

  • VP Stewart reported that she was generally pleased with the outcome of the Active Course File/ Syllabi audit, and was pleased with the progress in faculty ensuring that course syllabi match learning outcomes as stated in active course files. She stated that she would have liked to have 100% compliance. She also complemented faculty on work well done.
  • HLC Committee will continue their work– Professor Shanon Toler will continue to serve as Chair of the Committee and will work with Dr. Stewart to draft the response that will be included in the final report to the HLC.
  • Stated that the HLC report and audit will help identify areas in which the College can improve.
  • Will explore the creation of training opportunities – not just as a means to respond to HLC-related issues, but as a way to benefit faculty and staff, and gave the example of providing training to help improve syllabi creation. Will look for ways to improve communication, including communicating expectations.
  • Plans to use the experience with the HLC as not just a way to ensure compliance, but to look at issues in a larger way, and to identify opportunities to improve how we educate our students.
  • Will have conversations with CODFA and CODAA. Seeks to learn how academic affairs can partner with faculty to advance progress.
  • Plans to look at technology-related solutions for assisting faculty with creating syllabi that comply with HLC requirements.
  • Will consider the possibility of continue random sampling/audit of syllabi – will look at benefits of this practice versus the investment. Does it get us where the College wants to be?
  • Looking at best practices

Chair Bennett:  Requested that points made in Dr. Stewart’s report be included in the final HLC report.

Update: Student/Program Assessment in preparation for HLC site visit to be conducted prior to September 2019

Dr. Richard Jarman, Professor and President Faculty Senate:  Report

  • Concerns regarding HLC 3a, are resolved.
  • HLC 4.b – will be addressed in 2019.
  • Senate recently approved Curriculum Guide and General Education Outcomes. Faculty will vote on Wednesday.  New curriculum process will be implemented for future revision or new curriculum, presuming it’s approved by faculty.
  • General Education Outcomes: Implementing process of reviewing courses by each discipline, and review any deficiencies in courses as identified in the HLC report.
  • Assessment of co-curricular activities: Student life and Career Services reps gave a presentation on student clubs, such as New Student Orientation.
  • Orientation Leader program – examples of activities where data is collected. Assessment is being done, but must be made apparent to the auditors.
  • Career services – assessment taking place as well.
  • Data suggests that engagement in clubs and activities support student learning, growth and retention.

President Rondeau, comments:

  • Thanked Richard Jarman for leadership and work done
  • Noted that VPAA Donna Stewart and VP Dowling identified the idea of a creating a Provost position – which will create strong links between Academic and Student Affairs.
  • Relayed a conversation with a student who stated that when students are involved in co-curricular activities they become better students.  Tangible results of the College meeting HLC issues.

Trustee Bernstein:  Will the College have any analytics to identify correlation between student involvement in co-curricular activities and improvement in student performance?

VP Bente:  Analysis can be made regarding correlation – can pull data out of system and do a regression analysis, and will not be a significant task.

Pres Rondeau: Some student engagement will be constrained by family, economic situations within a student’s life.  But reiterated that the College needs to be doing what we need to do and meet the College’s and the HLC’s expectations.

VP Dowling to Trustee Bernstein:  Pathways committee is interested in connection between what happens outside the classroom, and retention rates.  Faculty and student affairs staff attending a summit – what technology is available that can help analyze data of student success and co-curricular activities

George Beck:  Noted that assessments are ongoing.  What types of information/data are we trying to pull?  What steps are being taken to see development between co-curricular activities and other areas?

Prof Jarman:  Retention reports are collected, from such groups as NSO, Living Leadership program – data is there that can track student retention.  Quantitative and qualitative data is available.

VP Dowling added that students who participate in NSO are doing better in the classroom and have higher retention rates.  Students who participate in the Pre-enrollment Summer Program, and are mandated to meet with a counselor or adviser are also doing better in the classroom and have higher retention rates.  Building an assessment database, visiting with faculty during the summer are helping improve these rates, and are expanding the Pre-enrollment Summer Program.

Dr. Stewart:  Feedback from HLC – what are the goals of co-curricular activities as it relates to student success?  How do we know that we’re achieving these goals?

Trustee Bernstein: By the nature of who they are, would students who attend NSO already do well?  Are their difficulties with determining cause and effect?

VP Dowling:  Clearly students who attend NSO are more motivated.  Would they do better in class?  Not sure.  But students who come to orientation and are interested would probably do better.

VP Stewart:  cited research that NSO and first year- type programs do contribute to student success.

Prof Baunbach-Caplan:  Noted that she works with pathways to engineering students.  Most transfer students surveyed stated that the mandatory phone meeting with U of I advisors and orientation sessions were helpful.

Prof Jarman:  Noted that through the academic reorganization including the creation of the Provost position, in the future the committee will meet with representatives from Student Life and Career Services, and anticipate that these meetings will be beneficial.

INFORMATION: 2018-19 Faculty Hiring Update

Dr. Donna Stewart, Interim VP Academic Affairs:  Report

Follow-up to last December’s status report – at that point, searches were just starting.  Faculty returned from break, and began review of candidates.

Currently, the searches are at varying stages. A couple searches are still open. Most searches are well underway, a few are lagging.  One search has a very small pool of applicants.  One recent resignation of an Accounting Faculty – the President authorized a one year temporary full time faculty appointment.

Implemented enhancements to processes.  All job postings used a common template.  All search committee members went through common training.  Used common interview questions that addressed institutional needs.  Search committees crafted questions that addressed needs specific to the discipline.  Committees used a rubric to summarize and review candidates.

Once process is finished, the names of three candidates are put forward to the VPAA.  The names of the candidates will be unranked.  Included in the submission will be a summary of the candidates’ strengths and developmental opportunities for each candidate.  VPAA will confer with the Dean and meet with 1 or possibly 2 candidates if necessary.  VPAA will forward a recommendation to the President.  An offer will be made subject to the BOT’s approval.  Interviewing using Zoom if candidate is out of town.

Chair Bennett:  Stated he wants to make sure the minutes reflect the process.  Reponse to Prof. Hazard’s question at last meeting:  The BOT Chair has provided the VPAA office with a report format, with a series of questions and statements that the VPAA will provide to the board with each recommendation.

VP Stewart:  Will review the format, was not certain that they had a prescriptive format for the candidates, but rather the expectation that a number of issues be addressed in the interviewing process.

Chair Bennett:  It was his understanding that the BOT wanted all questions to be answered to avoid a repetition of the turn of events that took place in the last hiring cycle.

VP Stewart:  Will review that expectation.

Prof Jarman – Noted that Meteorology will interview 7 candidates, and Chemistry will review 6 candidates.

Prof Hazard to VP Stewart – Will you pass along recommendations as they come in or will they be compiled first and then sent?

Stewart:  Will forward as they come in.

CURRICULUM REVIEW: New AAS Program

Dr. Donna Stewart, Interim VP Academic Affairs: Report

VP Stewart: Discussed recommendation for new degree in Dance Studio Production and Instruction.  Course was reviewed by DCC and CCC.  Dean Boone crafted the Form 20 ICCB proposal.  The document was shared with the Committee – any questions?

Chair Bennett:  Read catalog description. Noted that there were 40 dance studios consulted, and packet referenced correspondence.

Dean Boone:  Relied on a Google search to identify businesses.  The degree was authored and managed by an adjunct instructor in Dance.  She interviewed dance studio and production company owners to determine what they would like to see in a degree, and found that they need help with production and support, and managing an organization.

Chair Bennett: Proposal notes annual enrollment projections – 20, 28, 35, respectively, over the next 3 years.  What was the basis for the projections?

Dean Boone:  Based on current enrollment, and some small growth because we put a degree in process.  Will not likely be a huge program.

Chair Bennett: Who led the charge to initiate the program proposal?

Dean Boone: – Adjunct faculty member Donna Douglas and Connie Canady Howard, served as full time faculty sponsor.

Chair Bennett: Program will provide dance studios with sufficient staff to help run studios?  Dean Boone: That’s correct.  Internships and employing graduates where studios sees fit.

Prof Jarman:  Faculty staffing – In second year, will there be 8 faculty and will all be adjunct?  Is it experimental?  At what time will they get a full-time faculty in program?

Dean Boone: We did have a FT faculty member teaching Dance, but there was not enough enrollment to support the position.  If enrollment is strong, we could then hire an FT – but probably not in the next 2-3 years.

Prof Baunbach-Caplan:  Is there compensation for duties outside teaching?

Dean Boone: Yes, compensated Donna Douglas for work related to creating the degree. We could assign an adjunct to do work required that is outside of the classroom.  The other option would be to combine Dance program with another discipline, but that would necessitate a conversation with CODFA members.

Chair Bennett: Motion to approve the program?  Jarmin and Hazard made motions.

Roll Called – Unanimously approved, motion passed.

UPDATE: Revised Procedure 25-76, Assignment of Credit Hours

-Jim Benté, VP Planning & Institutional Effectiveness: Report

Updates board policy 25-76 received BOT approval.  However, no administrative procedure in place.  HLC thought it beneficial to put procedure into place.  Procedure 25-76 was authored.

The three major components of the Procedures are:  Course hours delineated by course type; Delivery Mode; Faculty can maintain adherence to procedure through College Curriculum Committee.  Procedure 25-76 passed through Instruction and Shared Governance, unanimously passed.  Public comment for 30 days.  Will be included in the HLC report.

Chair Bennett: Notes that the administrative procedures conform to federal government and HLC rules.

VP Bente: stated that this was an information item for the committee.

NEXT MEETING DATE

  • Pathways Steering Committee Update – Academic Affairs/Student Affairs
  • Academic Advising Committee Update – Academic Affairs/Student Affairs

Chair Bennett: Will review Draft Report next meeting.  BOT next meeting is April 19th.  Will hope to have the Draft Report ready for that meeting.

4:07 Motion to adjourn

Motion approved, meeting adjourned.

 

 

 

 

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | Mar 15, 2018

I wanted to acknowledge the good news recently received about Standard & Poor’s upgrading the College of DuPage bond rating from “AA” to “AA+” and affirmed its rating outlook of “stable” on the College’s outstanding general obligation bonds. It is a notable achievement in an era, particularly in Illinois, where few institutions of higher learning can only dream of having even one A letter beside their name.

While an argument might be sustained that the visitation of probation that prompted the down-grading really had nothing to do with the actual financial health of COD, it is gratifying nonetheless to see its return up the ladder. Though I am moved to point out that what provoked the ire of the HLC in those days did not include non-compliant syllabi. On the latter, I think you will hear at some point this evening some encouraging news re the audit.

But I will stick to a financial theme as I note item 8 in tonight’s agenda, APPROVAL: Tuition and Fees Effective Fall 2018 Term.

As the information supplied in the packet demonstrates, COD has had an exemplary record in its tuition rate since 2015 (how many colleges can boast of a negative increase in these challenging times?). During this era, COD moved from the top of the table to below midpoint. However, at some point, as the cost curve inches inexorably up, increasing revenue becomes inevitable. The modest $1 seems entirely reasonable.

What makes this proposed increase more palatable is the evolution of the board’s attitude towards the reserve fund. No longer is it referred to as the “rainy day” fund for rains that will never come (at least in recent memory), and no longer is it treated as something sacrosanct. We note a logical rationalization of the allocations and a willingness to put part of it to productive use.

I would only advocate that, as the plan to generate revenues evolves, the burden fall not only on the fee payers but equally on the community that benefits from our services and even beyond in any creative ways possible.

VP McGrath’s Comments to the Board of Trustees | Mar 15, 2018

Good evening. Tonight we congratulate our colleagues whose retirements are listed in the packet, and we recognize the creativity and productivity of our colleagues whose sabbaticals are listed for approval. It is the culmination of a rigorous and collaborative process, and it is part of what makes COD a great incubator for teaching and learning.

Great teaching and learning requires careful budgeting, of course, and we respect the process behind the proposed $1 increase in student tuition for Fall 2018. But parallel to such necessary increases, we encourage stakeholders at the College to examine and champion initiatives that could help students manage the cost of college, including an institutional effort to engage with and support the use of Open Educational Resources (OER) and a deliberate strategy to address and resolve the chronic and systematic under-funding of higher education in our state over the course of several decades. These efforts, in concert, might send the message that we are working on every front, as a College, to address costs for students with imagination and foresight. COD offers an important public good within our district, and a global point of view would focus on sustainable and effective public policies around resources for that public good.

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | Feb 15, 2018

Good evening. Just a few brief comments. Item 7.a under resignations, I wanted to acknowledge our colleague’s Gary Roby resignation this coming May. Gary has been here too few years but in that time has made considerable contributions to the chemistry discipline and the college in general. He has been recognized as outstanding divisional faculty member.

Further, under item 8.o retirements, I wanted to acknowledge the contributions of three faculty members, David Ficht and Bea Jaynes in mathematics and Robert Nichols in Computer Information. Collectively, they have contributed over 53 years’ service.

I also note the impending retirement of one Charles (Chuck) Currier at the end of June. Chuck is the longest serving senior administrator in the Cabinet and I could say we go back a long way. I wanted to acknowledge Chuck’s service to the college in all things computational. He has always been someone willing to have a conversation to discuss issues.

Under item 6, I am looking forward to the presentation on progress in mathematics being given by Professor Hill. Good to see in-depth work by faculty presented to the Board. While this work was and is intensively faculty-driven, I would like to recognize the administrative leadership of the math and natural sciences division in this project.

VP McGrath’s Comments to the Board of Trustees | Feb 15, 2018

Good evening. Tonight we congratulate our colleagues whose retirements are listed in tonight’s packet. We also support the hard work of our faculty, administrators, and staff throughout the college (some of whom are presenting tonight) to improve our programs and plan for our probation-free future.

But we also grieve yet another school massacre in Florida yesterday. Words fail as we contemplate the violence perpetrated on educators and students in Parkland. Schools should be safe, but in America too often they aren’t.

On April 20th, a National Day of Action for Safe Schools will take place throughout the country, calling on Americans to march and compel action from legislators that improves the safety and security of students, via common sense gun control legislation, improving student access to mental health resources in our schools and prioritizing curriculum that develops student interpersonal communication skills. Students, education professionals, school boards, and community members must raise our voices and work against murder by guns in our schools.

Pres Jarman’s Comments to the BOT | Jan 18, 2018

Good evening and a somewhat belated Happy New Year.

One year ago the college welcomed 22 newly tenured faculty members at the January 19th board meeting. One year on, it is gratifying to see under Item 8.A in the consent agenda that our President recommends that 26 faculty members be granted tenure.

One year ago we were anticipating and discussing a number of changes and additions at COD: the reorganization of academic affairs into six divisions, the concomitant creation of several new discipline chairs, the expectation of new faces on the board of trustees in the April election. And of course the lingering uncertainty regarding HLC.

All these things came to pass and the uncertainty around HLC was mercifully vanquished. It would be appropriate to acknowledge the contribution of the Accreditation Task Force that earlier today was recognized with an I AM COD award. Congratulations to them – well deserved. Now the conversation has evolved into how do we respond to the demands that HLC has made of us when it withdrew the yoke. I see that as a lot healthier and more productive discussion, and one that we spent some of our Inservice day addressing. On that note, it was gratifying to see Trustees Fenne and Walker in attendance, and thank you for your commitment to our work.

On the one hand, the need to undertake activities and file reports to fulfill these HLC obligations could be seen as a massive inconvenience and drudgery; but on the other, that obligation encourages us to take a deeper and more authentic embrace of the kinds of assessment and analysis around curriculum, educational outcomes and program review that can only improve our work and the quality of education at COD. As we think about, reflect on, and respond to the likes of the Noel Levitz and CCSSE surveys, this can only be a good thing. Hopefully, next month we will have opportunity to share some of that work with you in more detail.

VP McGrath’s comments to the Board of Trustees | Jan 18, 2018

Good Evening and happy new year. We are glad to return for a new semester and we look forward to the start of classes and seeing our students on Monday. It is already turning into a busy semester, but we are optimistic that our work matters and that our expertise is respected and utilized for educational work, in all of its variety, at the College of DuPage.

We are glad to see our third-year colleagues recommended for tenure tonight. And we recognize our colleagues whose retirements are listed in the Board packet as well.

In retrospect, 2017 was a significant year of change at our school; the coming calendar year promises even more change. We hope, of course, that change is progress, and progress in the right direction. As scholars and educators, we are aware of how important it is to allow for time after intense change and learning to absorb what has come to pass. It is also essential to pause, reflect, and evaluate, especially in order to understand and ensure that we agree we’re on the right track in so many ways. As teachers, we know that a timeline is a good organizational tool, but it can be hypothetical, and if the material isn’t mastered, it’s usually necessary to regroup and allow more time for study.

Our wish this year is that organizational change is made through dialogue, deliberate collaboration, and honest conversation about real students, as they are, in all of their variety at our school. As we’ve learned over and over in the past several years, complicated problems require complicated solutions. So here’s to complexity in 2018.

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | Dec 14, 2017

As the curtain closes on another year, it is hard to avoid resorting to clichés of the kind I just used. So no more of those. It has been a busy year, and one with perhaps a few more challenges than I might have expected when it began lo these many months.

This evening you will hear a presentation on Pathways from Jane Smith. Pathways had entered my consciousness in early May. By October, Inservice was dedicated to it, and it had become a major conversation. I spoke then that CODFA leadership has encouraged our members to engage fully in this discussion. I can now tell you that the Faculty Senate has created nine research groups, that will involve a significant number of our members working with other constituencies in the college to examine many aspects of Pathways, with a view to providing recommendations as to how this initiative can move forward successfully. We were invited, even challenged, to participate, and we will. This work will be completed by the end of next term, and our plan is to tell you about it then.

You will also hear from Trustee Bennett in his report on the Board of Trustees Academic Committee about the work being done in regard to the HLC response. CODFA leadership contributed significantly in the report to this committee, which was concerned primarily with the syllabus compliance. We have committed to having syllabi for the spring semester posted by January 8th so that a preliminary audit of compliance can be completed prior to the official audit in February. I anticipate that the full board will be hearing more about our HLC activities in regards to assessment and outcomes in future months.

Nor have we been idle on the Noel Levitz front. A Senate task force has developed a set of questions that will guide its analysis of the data and requests for additional information as we attempt to probe the origins of the apparently problematic responses contained in that survey.

All this while we continue to teach our classes and engage in all the other normal activities of the faculty. I want to emphasize that we engage in these activities because, at the end of the day, we are dedicated to optimizing our students’ pathways to success.

VP McGrath’s comments to the Board of Trustees | Dec 14, 2017

This evening we congratulate our COD retirees; tonight’s list includes a former chair of the Faculty Welfare Committee and a former co-chair of bargaining. We thank them all for their service to our great public school and wish them the best.

It is the close of another semester, and we celebrate the accomplishments of our students. We also root for students who did not succeed in our classes, lamenting each piece of homework left incomplete, each paper or exam that misses the mark; despite the best efforts of a teacher, in the end, students are responsible for their own learning and individual agency within a given classroom. Education professionals create the conditions of possibility. Students bring to bear their own creativity, curiosity, motivation, values, ethics, and sense of reciprocity and mutuality. At its best, college education is a site for shared labor and respect for the distinct but collaborative roles between students and teachers. It is meaningful work all around.

It is hard to create the conditions of possibility for college students at a time when higher education is under siege in America. This month alone, Congress proposed taxing graduate student tuition waivers, and the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act appears to include a redefinition of credit hours, the removal of student financial aid repayment benefits, and deregulation of online and for-profit providers. At a time when COD is working to repair its reputation and fulfill some fair but rigorous demands from its accrediting body, it feels like swimming against the rising tide.

At COD, we know all too well what it looks like when the worst thing happens, because it already did when we were placed on probation. Our work moving forward must continue to question: what did we learn from that, and how can we prevent it from happening again? The answer lies somewhere in the realm of collaboration and memory. And so we persist, in part because we believe in this project of public education and community good.

BOT Academic Committee Dec 11, 2017

Meeting called to order with most members present. Minutes approved.

Special Presentation on HLC Compliance

Presenter Richard Jarman

Progress on syllabus compliance and future plans. HLC concerned with consistency of teaching course objectives across sections and delivery modes.

  • intensive information campaign to faculty
  • preliminary audit of syllabi to see if they matched ACF outcomes; follow-up via Deans
  • postcard will be mailed to all faculty
  • early posting of syllabi with deadline Jan 8, rather than at the start of classes, to allow for review
  • pop-up message in Blackboard with reminders

This involves a cultural shift to internalizing these aspects of compliance.

Curriculum Process update. Task force of administration and faculty was charged with identifying needs for changes based on Academic Affairs reorganization. Improve consistency of curriculum procedures.

General Education Outcomes update. Reviewed 2009 set of Gen Ed outcomes, showed example of curriculum mapping for a general Chemistry class. Need to align our Gen Ed outcomes more clearly with degree requirements; make outcomes more achievable and less aspirational. A committee has been working on this. Preliminary draft of revised outcomes lists overarching Critical Thinking and Information Literacy, with five other areas that are associated with specific areas of curriculum.

HLC Criterion 4.b. we received feedback needing to how how assessment results are being used to improve curriculum. Currently laying plans for how this will be enacted.

Chair Bennett: asks questions about some of the logistics regarding the syllabus checking.

Trustee Bernstein: asks how to assess something like critical thinking. Toler responds and describes how Gen Ed artifacts were evaluated for critical thinking. Bernstein: what part of this process was missing for HLC? Stewart: closing the loop to use the data on the outcomes to improve curriculum. Bernstein: that makes it clear.

VP Dowling: complimented the postcard with info on syllabus compliance. Asked about whether Early Alert is included in the syllabus. Answer: no.

Pres Rondeau: suggests that Jarman’s presentation be made to the BOT, to show the depth of work being done by faculty. Bennett: will be reporting to the full BOT. Should we give a more detailed presentation? Rondeau: agenda is already set for this meeting, but at some time the board should be briefed on this work, for sake of broader community as well as trustees and faculty. Bennett: will raise this message with Chair Mazzochi. Bernstein: agrees that the BOT should be briefed. Jarman: would be pleased to present. Bennett: Is the committee in agreement? All agreed.

Status Report on Faculty Hiring for 2018-19

VP Stewart presenting. Describes chair and committee training and the timeline. Committees will have access to their pools beginning Jan 18.

Chair Bennett: refers to notes about replacement vs “new” positions (welding, interior design). BOT has adopted a new evaluation procedure regarding data to support new positions.

Prof Hazard: Last year the BOT did not approve two faculty hires. To my knowledge, there has never been an explanation. Would be helpful for hiring committees to know what the problem was, so they don’t make the same mistake again.

Chair Bennett: will take under advisement and discuss further with Stewart and Rondeau.

Review of Policy/Procedure on Assignment of Credit Hours

VP Bente presenting. New version of the policy has been available for comment; no new comments received. Expect to bring to BOT for adoption this week. New version is consistent with federal definition, applies across all sections and delivery modes.

Procedure will be to ensure that policy is uniformly applied. Policy addresses all the issues raised by the HLC. Procedure will go to Shared Governance in January and posted for internal review before it is adopted.

Chair Bennett: now we have a more comprehensive policy that conforms to federal definitions.

Committee Discussion

Chair Bennett opens to comments from the floor. No comments.

Next meeting has not been scheduled. Bennett and Millush will schedule in late Jan or early Feb 2018.