Category Archives: BOT

Board of Trustees Meeting Blog
Occasional reports on meetings of COD’s Board of Trustees and committees, particularly those of concern to faculty. For complete coverage of Board meetings, access the live streams and/or the recordings of meetings. For more information, visit the COD Board of Trustees website.

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | August 16, 2018

As we begin another new academic year here at College of DuPage, I would like to welcome all the new fulltime faculty members. By my count we have fourteen teaching faculty, two counselors, along with three temporary one-year appointments. Some have already worked at COD for many years, while others are brand new to the college, and some from far-flung locales. We wish them all well and look forward to working with them going forward. It is an exciting time to be working at COD. In all the right ways.

I also want to recognize another new addition, or should I say potential addition, as the appointment of Mark Curtis-Chavez is subject to your approval this evening (Item 8.k). Firstly, the merging of student and academic affairs under one cabinet position makes sense strategically. Secondly, speaking as one who served on the search committee, I believe that Dr. Curtis-Chavez will bring the right kind of experience from a background of large institutions not dissimilar to COD, and in the kinds of innovative projects highly relevant to our work here. I know that Jackie and I, along with the rest of CODFA leadership are committed to working with Mark to move the college along through challenging yet exciting initiatives such as Pathways. Proper alignment of services will be crucial for the success of this process.

I know that many of our members have yearned for stability at the pinnacle of academic affairs and, hopefully, this appointment will provide that stability and allow the remaining organizational pieces to fall into place. I would like to thank Kirk Overstreet for steering the academic ship these past few months.

So, in the fond hope that this is not premature, on behalf of the full-time faculty I would like to extend a welcome to Dr. Curtis-Chavez and we look forward to working with him in the months and years ahead.

VP McGrath’s Comments to the Board of Trustees | August 16, 2018

Good evening. This is an exciting time of year, and I know my faculty colleagues are looking forward to the start of classes on Monday morning. The reciprocity we experience in the classroom with our students is always the best part of our fall semester.

In many ways, it’s been an eventful summer at COD, and today and yesterday my faculty colleagues have expressed their worries and concerns in various ways and at various volumes. We read enrollment reports, and we speculate about cause and effect. We watch our sections climb in headcount and hope our classes run as scheduled. We ask questions about the summer search for the new provost and the intricacies of Pathways developments over the summer. We worry about the insurance update and we fret about the inconvenient Blackboard shut down. We look at the ongoing squabbling in Springfield and the looming fall elections, and we wonder what it means for our students and for higher education. And beyond our district and our state, we look at what my outstanding colleague Tom Carter referred to as “dark times” in his moving speech on stage yesterday at Inservice, and we wonder how we can help our campus can become a safe and equitable place that changes people’s lives.

And yet, we must try to make progress on these issues; as Professor Carter put it, “we are morally required to try to make the world a better place.” As educators, we care about the common good and we have faith in our ability to contribute to it through the classes that we teach. I am always proud of my faculty colleagues who speak up about their concerns, whose ideas and experiences can lead to better decisions at COD when it comes to these worrisome issues. Sometimes, it is hard to have faith that progress might be made, but we keep at it, and we will come in Monday morning ready to do good work.

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | July 19, 2018

Firstly, I would like to recognize Chairman Mazzochi’s recent appointment to the
vacant seat in the 47th District, where she will take over from the long-serving Patti
Bellock. Having observed at close hand our Chairman’s rapier intellect and zest for
debate, I have no doubt that she will contribute significantly on the wider Illinois
stage just as she has, and hopefully will continue to do at least for a time, in our
own smaller theatre.

Of course, June 27th was a singular day for public unions with the Supreme Court
finding in favor of one Mr. Janus against the AFSCME. Whatever the merits of the
arguments, we must deal with the consequences, as indeed we had been
expecting these many months. While the New York Times described it as a
crushing blow to unions, we incline at this point to a more sanguine view. This is
not the end, not even the beginning of the end – or even the end of the
beginning; but that is a different speech.

We expect our members to keep faith in CODFA and the representation we
provide, even in the absence of any obligation to do so. I would advance the
argument that College of DuPage is the beneficiary of a strong organized faculty.
Back in January 2017 we gave a presentation to this board about CODFA. We
made the following points that bear repeating:

  • Organized labor can promote harmonious relationships with employers (granted
    this gets tested at times).
  • Strong organized labor ensures a proper balance of power in the organization. (We
    could look back on recent history as an example of this.)
  • A strong association can advocate regionally and nationally on behalf of students
    and the institution and not just for itself.

I encourage skeptics to examine what has been happening nationally in states
where there have been disruptive strikes, walkouts, and protests by educators. All
of them in states where unions are weak or non-existent and where working
conditions have been driven progressively worse. Surely not a model for
promoting student success.

We are far from that sorry pass in Illinois despite the abuse that is hurled upon
our state. We look forward to maintaining a strong association for everyone’s benefit.

VP McGrath’s Comments to the Board of Trustees | July 19, 2018

There is a common misperception that teachers do not work in the summer. Sometimes, when people find out what I do for work, they can be quick to comment, “wow, I’d love to be off for three months in the summer.”  I never know how to respond exactly, but usually in my head, I’m thinking, “define “off.” Because if you’re a faculty at a community college, when the spring semester ends, the work starts up and it doesn’t quit. Besides summer teaching assignments, it is common for COD faculty to complete a wide variety of work in June and July, ranging from attending conferences, workshops, and trainings, to working on committee projects for COD, to completing research, fieldwork, writing, and editing commitments. COD Faculty also work in summer advising, or on Pathways Working Groups, or plan in-service activities and site visits. We inventory program supplies and review annual data, and we attend regular committee meetings. We present papers, prepare exhibits, complete service for our professional organizations. Indeed, while the work may not be 9 to 5 or within the confines of an office or a classroom, and while the College is, technically, closed for business on Fridays, many of us seem to spend more time at work in the summer than we do during any other term.

Sometime around July 5th, the panic starts to set in, too. We realize we haven’t read too far into that stack of books and articles that accumulated during the previous year, or we need an extension for the revisions that journal editor requested, or we have a new course to prepare that starts in six weeks. Time flies quickly, and the August scramble begins. In the past few days, I communicated with a few dozen faculty about Fall Pathways work, and each one referenced a lengthy set of summer activities. While summer work may not be as visible or as structured, it is what makes the engine of education run smoothly year-round.

Next month, we’ll begin the fall semester, and as colleagues ask each other, “how was your summer? what did you do?” the consistent answer from faculty in every field, will be, “I worked.”

VP McGrath’s Comments to the Board of Trustees | June 21, 2018

Good evening. Tonight we take a moment to acknowledge the resignation of Associate Dean Mark Collins, whose work at our school was appreciated by teachers and students across campus. He is a talented leader with a valuable skill set, and he is a model for facilitating change and for deploying available data to make meaningful decisions in several important areas at COD, from the English Department to the Office of Adjunct Support. He also really likes and understands teachers and students and cares about inclusivity in word and deed. We will miss his graciousness and his sense of accountability in our workplace and we wish him well in his next endeavor.

VP McGrath’s Comments to the Board of Trustees | May 10, 2018

Tonight we congratulate the COD students who will walk across the stage next Friday night to receive their diplomas. It is an important ritual and we are proud of them and the work represented by the conferral of degrees.

We also want to congratulate all COD retirees; we celebrate their service and we will miss these valued education professionals. And of course, we welcome our new faculty hires and we are proud of our outstanding faculty colleagues as well as the professors who are being promoted tonight.

It’s been a busy year at our school, and teachers and students at COD continue to absorb significant changes—from various reorganizations of people and space, to the lifting of COD’s HLC probation and how we must prepare for our next site visit, to changes in federal law and policies that impact many of our students. Many of these changes have been a long time in the making; some are welcome, and some are not. So it is important in an education environment to value and build into the change process a period of evaluation; to ask the question, did these changes accomplish what we hoped? How can these concepts be improved or corrected? Enacting change without methodically evaluating its impact can create questions and doubt, and cultivate resistance to the next big idea—even if it’s a good one.

As we move into the next academic year, it will be important for faculty and administration to work more collaboratively on establishing the priorities for our college and our students. As we revisit the Strategic Long Range Plan and the Facilities Master Plan, we must do so through processes that are inclusive and that tolerate and then integrate dissenting views in order to reach rigorously vetted conclusions. And it means relying on experienced education professionals to evaluate the outcomes of those plans, and cultivate an institutional openness to re-evaluate and change based on an honest assessment of what is right for our students, for real students, overall.

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | May 10, 2018

The term gallops at an ever-increasing frenzy to its conclusion as we look forward to Commencement just one week away; and even the weather has finally deigned to acknowledge the appropriate season, lending an of colorful and much-admired splendor to our campus.

It is a season of celebration and in the packet tonight I find much to celebrate. Of course, I am biased. Under item 6, Outstanding Faculty are being recognized. Congratulations to all of them for their outstanding service. A note on Tom Carter – Outstanding College-wide faculty member from physics. One generally first encounters Tom by his voice. I heard him before I met him, back in 2003 in my first division meeting. As loud and as forceful as may his advocacy be, he is as humble and unassuming in all other regards, and has lent his tireless hand to many significant STEM initiatives. It has been my personal pleasure to have worked with Tom on some of these projects, and he is always one to enjoy a really good argument with. Totally well-deserved is this recognition.

Then, under 8.q we have seven faculty members being recommended for promotion to the E range, which marks the pinnacle of professional development for our members at College of DuPage. Congratulations to them as well.

It has been a year of substantial achievement for our college as we have faced down previous challenges and embrace new ones. You will hear later about the Pathways initiative. That noun entered my consciousness about one year ago. I don’t want to detract from the presentation but I can assure you that we are fully engaged in the process and committed to working collaboratively and constructively as it moves forward.

We learned recently of the move of many of the areas of administration into the BEEM building across the street. The objective here was to increase space for instruction in the BIC that research has shown is in demand (don’t we all know it). I would like to take this opportunity to commend our Cabinet members for taking the initiative in this selfless move, along with Mr. Schmiedl who no doubt has contributed to the logistics of this not-insignificant effort.

See you next Friday I hope.

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | April 19, 2018

It was a particular honor and privilege to attend the event Wednesday morning to celebrate the Innovation DuPage initiative along with so many members of our community partners from all walks in attendance. This new business incubator provides tangible evidence of the restored union between the village (my village actually) and our college that was so needlessly and unnecessarily sundered years back.

From the paper dresses to the music to the flower arrangements all done by students, along with the galaxy of initiatives shared in the presentations, it made me proud to be a part of this college. I look forward to our members contributing their skills towards, and hopefully benefiting from, the entrepreneurial adventures soon to begin downtown.

Not wishing to pre-empt Trustee Bennett’s report on the academic committee, but you will hear about the first report due to be submitted to HLC. From our side, we are very satisfied with the outcome, and I think it represents a model for collaborative work on a challenging issue across different constituencies to meet a common goal. Now we can look forward to addressing the weightier issues surrounding assessment that we have made reference to in previous presentations to this board.

Co-curricular activities are among those items cited by HLC for evidence of assessment. Our colleagues in Student Life can provide qualitative and quantitative evidence that involvement in co-curricular activities promotes retention and success. Which brings me to item 11.f in the consent agenda: BTE Agreement Renewal and Funding. You heard my advocacy for BTE in the past. You have seen the financial targets hit but I wanted to highlight the student engagement data: 450-500 students directly engaged in BTE each season, 52 students working on BTE productions, and other items besides.

BTE provides the kinds of co-curricular activities that sets COD apart from the norm. We heard Dr. Rondeau proclaim Wednesday that the MAC is a center for great art. Rightly so. Both for the community at large and our students within, let us continue and expand that tradition.

Thank you.

BOT Academic Committee Meeting Mar 13, 2018

Meeting called to order with most members present. Minutes approved, with one abstention.

COMMENTS BY COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN

Ensure that the HLC final document is completed and submitted by due date, May 15, 2018.

STATUS REPORT OF PROCESS REVISIONS TO ADDRESS HLC CORE COMPONENTS 3.A & 4.A IN PREPARATION FOR THE REPORT DUE MAY 2018:

Jim Benté, VP Planning & Institutional Effectiveness:  Report

  • Overview of the Active Course File / Syllabi audit.
  • The deadline for submission of an interim report is May 15, 2018.
  • Provided the following report on Active Course File / Syllabi adherence
  • Active Course File Learning Objective / Syllabi inconsistency rate was 25% at the time of the HLC onsite visit. The most recent rate is 4%.
  • The sample size of the audit was 232 individual syllabi taken from a total of 2200. Description of audit:
    • Full time faculty: 83 syllabi, representing 36% of all syllabi audited
    • Part time faculty: 149 syllabi, representing 57% of all syllabi audited
    • Face to face courses: 83%
    • Online: 15%
    • Hybrid: 2%
    • Non-compliance: 1 (.5%) FT faculty and 8 PT (3.5%) faculty syllabi did not align with course learning objectives.

VP Bente noted that while the compliance rate was not perfect, he is pleased with the improvement.  He stated that the improvement will make a “strong story” for the HLC report.

  • VP Bente is creating a draft of the report using document provided by faculty and Academic Affairs.
  • The HLC did not recommend or mandate a report format, but will address the issues noted in the HLC report.
  • Discussed some of the source materials to be included in the report, such as emails between faculty and deans regarding course learning outcomes, and committee minutes from the VPAA, HLC Response Planning Team, BOT Academic Committee and Faculty Senate. Evidence submitted could be 200 pages.
  • Draft report is planned to be complete by April 1 which will allow time for revisions by the May 15 due date.

Chair Bennett:

  • Asked if information table will be included in the report. Bente – Yes.
  • Ensure that the committee’s minutes note that the College did not receive from the HLC specific instructions on the report format, or any criteria of what results would be acceptable or unacceptable.
  • Noted that the HLC survey sample size was “very limited,” and should stress in the College’s response that the survey size was increased to about 10% of all courses offered.
  • Goal is to have draft report completed by April first, which will tie in to the April BOT meeting schedule
  • Bente noted that Dr. Stewart’s report will be added to the HLC report.

 Dr. Donna Stewart, Interim VP Academic Affairs:  Report

  • VP Stewart reported that she was generally pleased with the outcome of the Active Course File/ Syllabi audit, and was pleased with the progress in faculty ensuring that course syllabi match learning outcomes as stated in active course files. She stated that she would have liked to have 100% compliance. She also complemented faculty on work well done.
  • HLC Committee will continue their work– Professor Shanon Toler will continue to serve as Chair of the Committee and will work with Dr. Stewart to draft the response that will be included in the final report to the HLC.
  • Stated that the HLC report and audit will help identify areas in which the College can improve.
  • Will explore the creation of training opportunities – not just as a means to respond to HLC-related issues, but as a way to benefit faculty and staff, and gave the example of providing training to help improve syllabi creation. Will look for ways to improve communication, including communicating expectations.
  • Plans to use the experience with the HLC as not just a way to ensure compliance, but to look at issues in a larger way, and to identify opportunities to improve how we educate our students.
  • Will have conversations with CODFA and CODAA. Seeks to learn how academic affairs can partner with faculty to advance progress.
  • Plans to look at technology-related solutions for assisting faculty with creating syllabi that comply with HLC requirements.
  • Will consider the possibility of continue random sampling/audit of syllabi – will look at benefits of this practice versus the investment. Does it get us where the College wants to be?
  • Looking at best practices

Chair Bennett:  Requested that points made in Dr. Stewart’s report be included in the final HLC report.

Update: Student/Program Assessment in preparation for HLC site visit to be conducted prior to September 2019

Dr. Richard Jarman, Professor and President Faculty Senate:  Report

  • Concerns regarding HLC 3a, are resolved.
  • HLC 4.b – will be addressed in 2019.
  • Senate recently approved Curriculum Guide and General Education Outcomes. Faculty will vote on Wednesday.  New curriculum process will be implemented for future revision or new curriculum, presuming it’s approved by faculty.
  • General Education Outcomes: Implementing process of reviewing courses by each discipline, and review any deficiencies in courses as identified in the HLC report.
  • Assessment of co-curricular activities: Student life and Career Services reps gave a presentation on student clubs, such as New Student Orientation.
  • Orientation Leader program – examples of activities where data is collected. Assessment is being done, but must be made apparent to the auditors.
  • Career services – assessment taking place as well.
  • Data suggests that engagement in clubs and activities support student learning, growth and retention.

President Rondeau, comments:

  • Thanked Richard Jarman for leadership and work done
  • Noted that VPAA Donna Stewart and VP Dowling identified the idea of a creating a Provost position – which will create strong links between Academic and Student Affairs.
  • Relayed a conversation with a student who stated that when students are involved in co-curricular activities they become better students.  Tangible results of the College meeting HLC issues.

Trustee Bernstein:  Will the College have any analytics to identify correlation between student involvement in co-curricular activities and improvement in student performance?

VP Bente:  Analysis can be made regarding correlation – can pull data out of system and do a regression analysis, and will not be a significant task.

Pres Rondeau: Some student engagement will be constrained by family, economic situations within a student’s life.  But reiterated that the College needs to be doing what we need to do and meet the College’s and the HLC’s expectations.

VP Dowling to Trustee Bernstein:  Pathways committee is interested in connection between what happens outside the classroom, and retention rates.  Faculty and student affairs staff attending a summit – what technology is available that can help analyze data of student success and co-curricular activities

George Beck:  Noted that assessments are ongoing.  What types of information/data are we trying to pull?  What steps are being taken to see development between co-curricular activities and other areas?

Prof Jarman:  Retention reports are collected, from such groups as NSO, Living Leadership program – data is there that can track student retention.  Quantitative and qualitative data is available.

VP Dowling added that students who participate in NSO are doing better in the classroom and have higher retention rates.  Students who participate in the Pre-enrollment Summer Program, and are mandated to meet with a counselor or adviser are also doing better in the classroom and have higher retention rates.  Building an assessment database, visiting with faculty during the summer are helping improve these rates, and are expanding the Pre-enrollment Summer Program.

Dr. Stewart:  Feedback from HLC – what are the goals of co-curricular activities as it relates to student success?  How do we know that we’re achieving these goals?

Trustee Bernstein: By the nature of who they are, would students who attend NSO already do well?  Are their difficulties with determining cause and effect?

VP Dowling:  Clearly students who attend NSO are more motivated.  Would they do better in class?  Not sure.  But students who come to orientation and are interested would probably do better.

VP Stewart:  cited research that NSO and first year- type programs do contribute to student success.

Prof Baunbach-Caplan:  Noted that she works with pathways to engineering students.  Most transfer students surveyed stated that the mandatory phone meeting with U of I advisors and orientation sessions were helpful.

Prof Jarman:  Noted that through the academic reorganization including the creation of the Provost position, in the future the committee will meet with representatives from Student Life and Career Services, and anticipate that these meetings will be beneficial.

INFORMATION: 2018-19 Faculty Hiring Update

Dr. Donna Stewart, Interim VP Academic Affairs:  Report

Follow-up to last December’s status report – at that point, searches were just starting.  Faculty returned from break, and began review of candidates.

Currently, the searches are at varying stages. A couple searches are still open. Most searches are well underway, a few are lagging.  One search has a very small pool of applicants.  One recent resignation of an Accounting Faculty – the President authorized a one year temporary full time faculty appointment.

Implemented enhancements to processes.  All job postings used a common template.  All search committee members went through common training.  Used common interview questions that addressed institutional needs.  Search committees crafted questions that addressed needs specific to the discipline.  Committees used a rubric to summarize and review candidates.

Once process is finished, the names of three candidates are put forward to the VPAA.  The names of the candidates will be unranked.  Included in the submission will be a summary of the candidates’ strengths and developmental opportunities for each candidate.  VPAA will confer with the Dean and meet with 1 or possibly 2 candidates if necessary.  VPAA will forward a recommendation to the President.  An offer will be made subject to the BOT’s approval.  Interviewing using Zoom if candidate is out of town.

Chair Bennett:  Stated he wants to make sure the minutes reflect the process.  Reponse to Prof. Hazard’s question at last meeting:  The BOT Chair has provided the VPAA office with a report format, with a series of questions and statements that the VPAA will provide to the board with each recommendation.

VP Stewart:  Will review the format, was not certain that they had a prescriptive format for the candidates, but rather the expectation that a number of issues be addressed in the interviewing process.

Chair Bennett:  It was his understanding that the BOT wanted all questions to be answered to avoid a repetition of the turn of events that took place in the last hiring cycle.

VP Stewart:  Will review that expectation.

Prof Jarman – Noted that Meteorology will interview 7 candidates, and Chemistry will review 6 candidates.

Prof Hazard to VP Stewart – Will you pass along recommendations as they come in or will they be compiled first and then sent?

Stewart:  Will forward as they come in.

CURRICULUM REVIEW: New AAS Program

Dr. Donna Stewart, Interim VP Academic Affairs: Report

VP Stewart: Discussed recommendation for new degree in Dance Studio Production and Instruction.  Course was reviewed by DCC and CCC.  Dean Boone crafted the Form 20 ICCB proposal.  The document was shared with the Committee – any questions?

Chair Bennett:  Read catalog description. Noted that there were 40 dance studios consulted, and packet referenced correspondence.

Dean Boone:  Relied on a Google search to identify businesses.  The degree was authored and managed by an adjunct instructor in Dance.  She interviewed dance studio and production company owners to determine what they would like to see in a degree, and found that they need help with production and support, and managing an organization.

Chair Bennett: Proposal notes annual enrollment projections – 20, 28, 35, respectively, over the next 3 years.  What was the basis for the projections?

Dean Boone:  Based on current enrollment, and some small growth because we put a degree in process.  Will not likely be a huge program.

Chair Bennett: Who led the charge to initiate the program proposal?

Dean Boone: – Adjunct faculty member Donna Douglas and Connie Canady Howard, served as full time faculty sponsor.

Chair Bennett: Program will provide dance studios with sufficient staff to help run studios?  Dean Boone: That’s correct.  Internships and employing graduates where studios sees fit.

Prof Jarman:  Faculty staffing – In second year, will there be 8 faculty and will all be adjunct?  Is it experimental?  At what time will they get a full-time faculty in program?

Dean Boone: We did have a FT faculty member teaching Dance, but there was not enough enrollment to support the position.  If enrollment is strong, we could then hire an FT – but probably not in the next 2-3 years.

Prof Baunbach-Caplan:  Is there compensation for duties outside teaching?

Dean Boone: Yes, compensated Donna Douglas for work related to creating the degree. We could assign an adjunct to do work required that is outside of the classroom.  The other option would be to combine Dance program with another discipline, but that would necessitate a conversation with CODFA members.

Chair Bennett: Motion to approve the program?  Jarmin and Hazard made motions.

Roll Called – Unanimously approved, motion passed.

UPDATE: Revised Procedure 25-76, Assignment of Credit Hours

-Jim Benté, VP Planning & Institutional Effectiveness: Report

Updates board policy 25-76 received BOT approval.  However, no administrative procedure in place.  HLC thought it beneficial to put procedure into place.  Procedure 25-76 was authored.

The three major components of the Procedures are:  Course hours delineated by course type; Delivery Mode; Faculty can maintain adherence to procedure through College Curriculum Committee.  Procedure 25-76 passed through Instruction and Shared Governance, unanimously passed.  Public comment for 30 days.  Will be included in the HLC report.

Chair Bennett: Notes that the administrative procedures conform to federal government and HLC rules.

VP Bente: stated that this was an information item for the committee.

NEXT MEETING DATE

  • Pathways Steering Committee Update – Academic Affairs/Student Affairs
  • Academic Advising Committee Update – Academic Affairs/Student Affairs

Chair Bennett: Will review Draft Report next meeting.  BOT next meeting is April 19th.  Will hope to have the Draft Report ready for that meeting.

4:07 Motion to adjourn

Motion approved, meeting adjourned.

 

 

 

 

President Jarman’s comments to the Board of Trustees | Mar 15, 2018

I wanted to acknowledge the good news recently received about Standard & Poor’s upgrading the College of DuPage bond rating from “AA” to “AA+” and affirmed its rating outlook of “stable” on the College’s outstanding general obligation bonds. It is a notable achievement in an era, particularly in Illinois, where few institutions of higher learning can only dream of having even one A letter beside their name.

While an argument might be sustained that the visitation of probation that prompted the down-grading really had nothing to do with the actual financial health of COD, it is gratifying nonetheless to see its return up the ladder. Though I am moved to point out that what provoked the ire of the HLC in those days did not include non-compliant syllabi. On the latter, I think you will hear at some point this evening some encouraging news re the audit.

But I will stick to a financial theme as I note item 8 in tonight’s agenda, APPROVAL: Tuition and Fees Effective Fall 2018 Term.

As the information supplied in the packet demonstrates, COD has had an exemplary record in its tuition rate since 2015 (how many colleges can boast of a negative increase in these challenging times?). During this era, COD moved from the top of the table to below midpoint. However, at some point, as the cost curve inches inexorably up, increasing revenue becomes inevitable. The modest $1 seems entirely reasonable.

What makes this proposed increase more palatable is the evolution of the board’s attitude towards the reserve fund. No longer is it referred to as the “rainy day” fund for rains that will never come (at least in recent memory), and no longer is it treated as something sacrosanct. We note a logical rationalization of the allocations and a willingness to put part of it to productive use.

I would only advocate that, as the plan to generate revenues evolves, the burden fall not only on the fee payers but equally on the community that benefits from our services and even beyond in any creative ways possible.